Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why did my person abandon me at the kill shelter???

Stupid Reasons People Give Up Sweethearts like Me!

by Stubbs Mac Crossposting on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 8:00am
 1.  "I have no yard"
Stubbs: " You didn't know that BEFORE you decided to get a dog?"  "You get the Duh! award"

2.  "I'm allergic"
Stubbs: "Yeah, that's a common one- Translation- I just don't want the responsibility."

3.  "I don't have any time for my dog"
Stubbs: "If you are busy and don't have time, why did you adopt inthe first place? Think about your lifestyle and next time get a stuffed animal instead!" 

4.  "I'm moving"
Stubbs: "we can move WITH you.  In this day and age, there ARE apartments or rentals that allow dogs- you just have to look for them. If you're moving to a house, no excuses!"

5.  "We had a baby"
Stubbs: "With love and care, we dogs will love and guard and love that baby like it's our own.  You just have to provide supervision and teach children to treat us nicely!"

6. "My animal is too old"
Stubbs: "OK, you heartless Prat- you'd better hope that you don't get turned in somewhere just because you get older and may need some special accommodations or care."

7. "This dog got too big"
Stubbs: "OK- you are just not too bright- RESEARCH THE BREED/MIX AND LOOK AT FOOT SIZE.  If you adopt a lab, pittie, or a mastiff, it is GOING to grow up big.  If you know you don't want a big dog, look at the Chihuahuas or the Westies!"

8. "This dog can't hunt, so I don't want to pay for his food anymore.  I'll just adopt a different hunting dog next year"
Stubbs:  "You're an %$&  %$#$"  (Rhymes with bass roll).

9.  "My dog chewed up my shoes and the cabinet!"
Stubbs:  "Ever heard of teething, separation anxiety, or boredom?  You can fix all of these issues if you do some research.  NOT a reason to throw me away!"


I MATTER!  I HAVE FEELINGS JUST LIKE YOU.  I GET ATTACHED.  I AM NOT A THROW-AWAY
Hi.  I WAS Woobie.  I'm gone now, crossed over the rainbow bridge because someone threw me away.  I didn't do anything wrong.  I was loving and sweet, but I ended up among the unwanted and unsaved.  PLEASE think before you turn in your dog. Use all the resources and links on this page to find ways to keep us or to make sure we get to a loving responsible home or rescue, not a kill shelter.



4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more!! You are 100% dead-on!! The only unfortunate thing is, I volunteer at a Kill-shelter...The reason it is a kill shelter is because it can not turn away ANY animal...NONE! Unlike PAWS or other organizations, who can turn away animals, so as I understand the reasoning, doesn't mean I like it...Anyway, my point was, when people adopt at this shelter there is a caveat on the contract that if you can not keep the dog you adopted, you MUST return it to this agency. Now me, personally, would not adhere to that contract in that respect, but am not sure what the repurcussions are if you do find a better place for the dog...But I think I would take my chances and find a family-member, or good friend who can better take care of the fur-baby..Or a no-kill shelter....Again, I don't know legally why this is the way it is, but it is a sad thing nontheless...I have never had a dog, but want one desperately, but I know that I have to learn ALOT before I bring one into my home...So I volunteer, got my lab tech assistant certificate, but know I still don't know enough, therefor, am considering fostering to start with...I do not want to adopt a dog out of selfish reasons, just to find out I can't handle it...I would never forgive myself! So PEOPLE, EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE ADOPTING YOUR NEW FAMILY MEMBER!! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I guess the shelters want to make sure that the pet does not end up in the "free to good home" category that I blogged about earlier. Every time I have adopted from a rescue or shelter, it is the same caveat- that the animal must be returned to the shelter if it does not work out. Some people just give their animals away without learning about who ultimately will get them, and there ARE fates worse than humane euthanasia, unfortunately. People are a cruel and sadistic species sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dedicated to all the little lives I am responsible for



    As I see the faces on the death roe pages,

    I do solemnly swear you will not end up there.

    Matter not, the wear or tear or hardships I must endure,

    I do solemnly swear you will not end up there.

    It was my choice to take you and care for you, my responsibility is

    I do solemnly swear you will not end up there.

    You are not a piece of furniture, nor an object - you can feel pain and fear,

    I do solemnly swear you will not end up there.

    You comfort me in my pain and sadness and help me to laugh away the tears,

    I do solemnly swear you will not end up there.

    If I feel I cannot go on and I tremble with doubt, you look at me with such devotion and care that it is my duty and promise of which:

    I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR YOU WILL NOT END UP THERE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your level of commitment to your pets. I wish everyone had those ethics!

    ReplyDelete